I've been watching the new Khing Kor Rar Khar Kor Rang (2019) with pleasure, although it's a bit too soon to say how much it compares to the old version. It plays pretty much the same so far, with a very stubborn OTP who try to deny their chemistry. There's been several kisses already, living up to its name. I decided to brush off this old review I did of the older version. I tried to make this SPOILER FREE (except for one part) for those of you who are watching the newer version. Enjoy!

Khing Kor Rar Khar Kor Rang has one of the fiercest female characters I've seen in any drama. Period. She's very much flawed, but also full of sass, and bullheaded enough to break bones. (For alliteration purposes) The OTP smokes, burns and sizzles. The mom's a freaking nutjob.  And we have a trio of bitches witches straight out of Macbeth. My review of KKRKKR lies under the cut.

"Never, there will never be a day that I will back down for him."



Drama Title: Khing Kor Rar Khar Kor Rang (KGRKGR)
English Title: Ginger is spicy, galangal is hot
Genre(s): Romance, Slap and Kiss, Drama, Comedy, Marriage
Original language: Thai                                               Year: 2006
Episodes: 19                                                                   Pacing: Some filler, should have been 4-5 episodes shorter 


Cast of Characters: Kwan Usamanee as Nit, Oil Thana as Bowee, Cartoon Inthira as Pim

Major Themes: Pride and prejudice

In Brief: Prickly Nit (Kwan) is a reporter, but messes up a story and tries to apologize to story's participant's. Instead, she gets fired and verbally abused, leading her to want payback.

Later on, Nit ends up in a marriage of convenience with Bowee (Oil), thanks to Nit's stubbornness and Bowee's mom. Throughout the lakorn, pride comes into play as Nit refuses to act as anything but her very honest, opinionated self. She doesn't hold back, she doesn't apologize and she tries not to show weakness in front of anyone but her beloved older sister Nee. All of which makes Bowee prejudiced against her, seeing her as gold digger.

We also have Bowee's girlfriend and her mom, who are not pleased at being pushed out of the way and cause the usual havoc you've seen before if you've watched a lakorn.

Music: The music in this is very eccentric, interesting at times. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get my hands the soundtrack. But here's the theme song.

Memorable Dialogue: SPOILERS AHEAD - just skip to next underlined section - The dialogue is one of the best parts of this lakorn. This dialogue is very character driven and showcases the relationship between Nit (green) and Bowee (blue). You can see Nit refusing to back down, and show her hurt, but this time her mask slips and Bowee sees a little of her inner turmoil.   SPOILERS AHEAD


The same, I'm not selling, I won't divorce you.

Why not? The money is 20 million.
If I stay here I'll get more money than that.
You'll never get a dime from me.
Even if you don't give it to me, your mom and dad will give it to me.
Why are you so into money?
And who isn't into money?
You really do provoke me.
You provoked me first. Let go, it hurts.
You know how to hurt too, I thought your skin was too thick.
That's right, I have thick skin and a thick face. I'm not as good as your girlfriend Khum Pim.
Why do you always have to bring her up? You're crying.
Let go of me. I said let go of me.
No, you have to tell me first why you're crying?
Because I hate you, was that clear? I hate you the most in the world.
Go tell Khun Pim, that the divorce is easy for me.


Favorite Scenes
: Every kiss scene. But one scene that really got to me was this scene in which Nit's zipper is stuck and Bowee carefully unzips her dress. The tension between them and Kwan's expression makes my toes curl in delight.

Pet Cliches (Pros)
: Marriage of Convenience, Poor Girl, Rich Guy, Opposites Attract

Pet Peeves (Cons): Lame Second Male Lead, The Evil Other Woman

Skim Through: The last five episodes.


(Bowee's crazy mom and calm Dad)
Smiles: Bowee's mother is a catalyst for the marriage, and it's worth watching just to see this warm, crazy woman. She's actually in a mental institution at the beginning of the lakorn and continues her wackiness throughout the lakorn. Anyone who watches this lakorn will love her. Guaranteed.

(Determined Nit and her sweet sister Nee)

I also loved Nit's character in here. She is SOOOOOO determined, strong willed and prideful. You've seen this type of character before, but this is taken to the max. Because of that, even though she acts often times against her own best interests, I still loved her. Any other character, I would be like, stupid, and I'm out of her. But because it IS her character and it's done consistently, I accept it. She's also a great sister and very loyal to those she loves.


Frowns: Bowee's character isn't supposed to be stupid, but he acts like it on a number of occasions. He constantly accepts other people's views and remarks about Nit as truth, even though the people are already shown to be untrustworthy and/or biased. Yeah, I know he's supposed to be the prejudiced one, but he could still use his own brain cells at times.

Also the series goes on several episodes longer than needed, with the evil trio of Pim, her mom and her friend continuing to plot schemes that are doomed to fail. Unnecessary and unwanted.

Why You Might Not Like It?: This is a slap and kiss. Enough said.

Where to watch this?: Online at
viki.com.


Final rating
:                                Good/Great

I'm really torn on this. It's definitely a good lakorn, but if some episodes had been cut, and the story tightened up, it could have been great. There are some great, even excellent things about it. The all important chemistry between the leads is there in spades. The marvelous mom, the Bowee family, Nit and her sister's relationship, are pure gold moments. So, good or great? I'll leave it up to you.

If you like this, try: Roy Leh Sanae Rai (marriage), Manee Yard Fah (marriage), Rahut Rissaya (has another great heroine)


Credits: Sajenna screencaps, Ch.7 other pictures 

Advertisement

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top