We are starting our Summer Donation Drive to fuel JL Subbing for the next year or so. We have a list of projects that people have requested, we do want to take feedback as well. But first, I did want to publish this in interests of transparency, the history of JL Subbing and how we spent our money. I think it is important to be upfront and honest about such things.




If you're looking for what are we subbing next, I'll be uploading a post in a day or two about it. Otherwise, read on! (Ok, this is kinda long and rather boring, but it's hard to make finances interesting). And click below if you want to contribute to our fundraiser.

Buy JL a Chai TeaBuy JL a Chai Tea

JL's Subbing 1st Project

History  This blog was started in 2011 by Jasmin, and I joined soon after. It's actually the 2nd version of the blog. Jasmin and I met on viki as we both were interested in lakorns. Jasmin and I contributed to a number of lakorn channels and helped get many lakorns subbed, including Ngao Asoke, Rahut Rissaya, Bride for Money. At that time, we became worried that subbed lakorns on youtube were disappearing and soon would be gone forever. So Jasmin decided the best way to save them was to offer a platform where people could download lakorns.  


Later, Jasmin started JL Subbing mainly because at that time, we were worried that the Mafia Luerd Mongkorn series starring some big names would go unsubbed. We aren't Thai speakers ourselves, but instead did the same thing we did on viki, recruit other subbers and provide support in the way of segmenting and editing.

We raised money to pay for the subbing, but as it turned out some subbers like Sherri refused payment and so we put the money to sub other lakorns, starting at $5 per episode, then $10 and raising it to $20 for the subber.

JL Subbing is unique from almost all other subbing groups in that the core members, Jasmin, me (Jazmin or Jamie) and Tika are not subbers ourselves, but we ARE experienced in every other aspect of making videos, such as segmenting, encoding, editing and publishing. Again, Jasmin and I did the same thing basically on viki for years.

Instead, we hire subbers to sub lakorns that they themselves might not be interested in, but othher ers have show an interest in. We want to sub older lakorns, finish lakorns that were incompletely subbed, and sub others that other lakorns subbers may skip over for one reason or another.


We finished the Mafia series and through polling, we picked several new projects. Some of the projects we had trouble getting subbers for, and they were put on the backburner due to that like Wan Nee Tee Ror Khoi.    

Jasmin was busy with her career and translating lakorns to other languages, and I was busy with my career and so most of the work of JL Subbing started to fall on Ersad, our previous member and Tika Tok in particular. I wasn't interested really in continuing JL Subbing or the blog really. But in September 2018, things came to a head when I realized how disengaged I was in that I had little clue what was going on at JL Subbing, outside of doing some segmenting and editing of projects and paying some bills. At that point, I realized I had a choice to make and decided to try to continue and improve JL Subbing with the help of Tika and Jasmin. We realized that Ersad didn't represent what we wanted to do anymore with JL Subbing and so we decided to let Ersad go.

We cut out different projects as we were spread too thin and didn't have the subbers or resources to sub them all, we resolved to communicate better and work on things more. I made a personal goal to improve JL Subbing in every way. 

OUR GOALS We do not aim to be the speedy subbers of recent lakorns. Thankfully, we have Muse, Thippy, and Nekomeow, who all do such a great job at subbing recent lakorns especially that come out. There are also some subbed lakorns on Netflix and even youtube channels, as well as less prolific subbers who do a great job subbing as well.

Maya Rasamee - our last project for now.

We aim to fill a niche in completing lakorns that haven't been subbed fully, and to sub older lakorns that are often forgotten, but we also would like to sub current lakorns as well. We will not be the fastest subbers, but we do aim to complete subbing of our projects.

COMPLETED PROJECTS
All Mafia Series w/Sherri
Madam Dun - last 2 episodes
Tawan Tub Burapa w/Sherri
Two Spirits love w/Sherri
Jao Payu -  last 2 episodes
Dung Sawan Sarb 
Jam Luey Gamathep (everything after ep 3.4)
Raeng Tawan
Jatt Ruk
Wan Nee Tee Ror Khoi (last 9 episodes)
Maya Rasamee

Transparency - this section is simply for those individuals who wish to know more about how JL Subbing has spent their money.
  
In the interests of being transparent, I'm releasing these paypal documents that have been redacted to hide names and account details. Please note that I've also from time to time, commented on blog posts about how much money was left in the account. 


I started collecting donations for JL Subbing by adding a business paypal account since I learned you could take donations through it. But in September, 2018, I had problems with the account as they wanted additional information to verify its business identity and I would no longer be able to use the account. I tried different methods, but nothing worked and so I transferred the money leftover to my personal account on October 12, 2018





1. This first set of pictures of my paypal account goes from July 29, 2015-October 12, 2018 That was the paypal business account. Basically payments to subbers started with $5, but quickly went to $10, then $20 per episode to subber.  We had several subbers, 1 or 2 dropped out, but Stephanie, Nikki and Kuromiberry were the main subbers. Sherri also helped for free. At times, I paid subbers for more than one episode at a time, because some subbers turned in more than one episode at a time. I also made small payments under $5 for subbers to do spot translations. 

There were a couple of corrections I had to make.

  • On 10/24-29/2015 I received 2 payments and made 2 refunds when they were requested.
  • Similarly, on 09/29/2017 there was a payment and a refund. 
  • I used the wrong paypal account to buy a subscription box service for my mom on 2/25/2018. I didn't notice the mistake until 3/21/2018 when I paid it back plus extra. 

2. The second set of pictures of my paypal account is from October 12, 2018 until 06.29/2019

  • I switched from business account to personal paypal account.
  • Most payments are to subbers Stephanie and Kuromiberry
  • I asked several donors if we could use leftover money on website, since they agreed, we did have several purchases.
  • 10/13/2019 made a payment of $23 dollars to Jasmin to pay for server costs for website.
  • 3/12/2019 Made payment of $30 dollars to get a premium subscription to 1fichier for a year.
  • 4/15/2019 I paid for tax service, repaid money on 4/30/2019. (This is for personal business)
  • 4/23/2019 Bought a cbox subscription for blog only to find it didn't work right on it.
  • 6/07/2019 Did a trial subscription for google, who returned $1
  • Currently, we have a balance of $74.08.
Jazmin

Advertisement

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top